Isfahan, a self-sufficient metropolitan city in every field. An encyclopedia of Iranian and Islamic arts and architecture. A great collection of historic monuments, such as bridges, mosques, palaces, houses, churches, synagogues, mausoleums, pigeon towers, fire temples, minarets and … .
Located on a plateau, in center of Islamic Republic of Iran. Residence of Moslems, Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians who have lived together in peace and prosperity. Birth place of grand theologizes, numerous artists, poets, and masters in different fields of science and knowledge.
Manifest glorious fine arts and great varieties of handicrafts. Center of the most outstanding and prestigious universities of Iran. Located at the edge of desert, but the beautiful Zayandeh Rood River flows through the city and has given beauty and prosperity to the city. Center of beautiful fruits gardens, a marvelous green paradise at the edge of desert. A city with several public gardens and parks. Center of Iranian heavy and semi heavy industries such as steel mill complexes, petrochemical, factories, oil refineries, and 40 percent of textile factories of our country. A city, in which you can visit tourist minded and hardworking people in various fields of knowledge, science, and experience, with wonderful sense of humor, which is famous all over Iran. A must destination for domestic and international tourism. Some of wonders of the world can be seen in this city, and finally a city which cannot be introduced through words. It must be visited in order to gain the most unforgettable memories. So many people have visited Isfahan and they have fallen in love with Isfahan. Their judgments and feelings can be seen through their valuable books.
The Naghsh-e Jahan Square in Isfahan is one of the largest city squares in the world and an outstanding example of Iranian and Islamic architecture. It has been designated by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. The city also has a wide variety of historic monuments and is known for the paintings, history and architecture.
Today Isfahan, the third largest city in Iran, produces fine carpets, textiles, steel, and handicrafts. Isfahan has one of the largest steel-producing facilities in the entire region, as well as facilities for producing special alloys. The city has an international airport and is in the final stages of constructing its first Metro line. Over 2000 companies work in the area using Isfahan's economic, cultural, and social potentials. Isfahan is also becoming an attraction for international investments, like investments in Isfahan City Center, which is the largest shopping mall in Iran.
Isfahan’s most highlighted attraction
Built by Shah Abbas I the Great at the beginning of the 17th century, and bordered on all sides by monumental buildings linked by a series of two-storeyed arcades, the site is known for the Royal Mosque, the Mosque of Sheykh Lotfollah, the magnificent Portico of Qaysariyyeh and the 15th-century Timurid palace. They are an impressive testimony to the level of social and cultural life in Persia during the Safavid era.
Chehel Sotoun (also spelled Chihil Sutun) is a pleasure pavilion built by Shah Abbas II (r. 1642-66) in the midst of a large park. The name of the pavilion, which literally means 'Forty Columns', derives from the illusion that the twenty columns of the front portico are doubled by the reflecting pool to the south. The building was intially constructed in 1647 and rebuilt in 1706 following a major fire. Since the site is aligned with the axis of the maidan, or central square of Esfahan, it may have been part of Abbas' overall urban plan for the city. Like many of Esfahan's famous buildings, the Chehel Sotoun grew by accretion as new additions were merged into existing structures. The original core the of pavilion, at the rear, was erected with the somewhat novel feature of two iwans accessing the structure from the sides. These opened into a large triple-domed chamber. The next phase of construction saw the addition of two halls flanking an open pond. This formed an iwan-like ensemble at the front of the building with a deep murqarnas vault decorated with Venetian glass. The final stage of construction concluded with the addition of a talar, or portico, of twenty columns. Since the twenty columns were added in the last phase, the building may not have acquired its present name until that point (though the word 'forty' also means 'many' in Persian, suggesting that the term 'forty columns' should not be interpreted quite so literally). The most startling feature of the pavilion is the brilliantly painted interior, which in contrast to general Islamic design features a multitude of human figures, including several scenes of battle and audiences held by the Shah with rulers bordering the eastern portion of the empire.
This is probably the most famous of Isfahan's bridges. It is made up of a series of 33 arches and was commissioned in 1602 by Shah Abbas I from one of his Generals. The name - Si-o-Seh Pol is derived from the Farsi for 33 (Si-o-Seh). The bridge is built on a series of pontoons of great width and there is a famous tea-house amongst them which is accessible from the southern bank.
The bridge was originally known as the Bridge of Allahverdi Khan who was the general responsible for its construction. The lower level of 33 arches is surmounted by a second layer, with one arch above each of the pontoons and two arches above the lower single arch, giving it its name and rhythmic appearance.
The bridge itself is 295m long and 13.75m wide. The thirty four piers on which it is constructed are 3.49m thick and the arches are 5.57m wide. The southern side of the bridge, where the waters of the Zayandeh run more swiftly has supplementary arches, and that makes them suitable as a tea house. The bridge acted as a springboard for the development of the Khajou Bridge some 50 years later.
Located in the historic centre of Isfahan, the Masjed-e J?mé (‘Friday mosque’) can be seen as a stunning illustration of the evolution of mosque architecture over twelve centuries, starting in ad 841. It is the oldest preserved edifice of its type in Iran and a prototype for later mosque designs throughout Central Asia. The complex, covering more than 20,000 m2, is also the first Islamic building that adapted the four-courtyard layout of Sassanid palaces to Islamic religious architecture. Its double-shelled ribbed domes represent an architectural innovation that inspired builders throughout the region. The site also features remarkable decorative details representative of stylistic developments over more than a thousand years of Islamic art.
Isfahan is famous for its delicate and beautiful handicrafts, the most important of which are Minakari, Ghalamkari, Carpet, Kilim and Gabbeh, inlaid work engraving on metal, woodwork, filigree work, tile work and miniatures. Local sweets, especially Sohan, Poolaki and Gaz are very delicious and well known through Iran.